Thinking of going on vacation either alone or with the family but aren’t quite sure where you want to visit? One destination that’s bustling with different activities for tourists to explore is located in the southern region of the United States. That’s right, the state of Texas. This is where tons of exciting adventures await you. Here are the 5 best tourist attractions you’ve got to visit now:
1. The Alamo - near San AntonioIf you’re a self-declared history buff, then the Alamo should be at the top of your Texas destination list. It’s an incredibly crucial historical monument that contains lots of different sites to teach you more about the significance of what took place here.
Millions of people gather around this historical area to pay tribute to the people who fought in this battle and lost their lives to the Mexican army. You’ll see buildings that have been restored. Different sections of the landmark will tell you more about the memories of the fallen soldiers and what happened there. There are different displays inside the museum with different artifacts from the battle and the weapons that were used against the Mexican army.
Several Americans, including the father of the legendary Davy Crockett, met their defeat and ultimate death while battling in this iconic fight. It was established in 1718 as a mission station, then was built more and more as the years went on to become a fort during the Texas Revolution.
Visit this attraction to learn more about this small force of people who used this landmark to build a wall in an attempt to barricade themselves in during their battle with the Mexican army.
While visiting this landmark, you’ll hear the phrase “Remember the Alamo” as this was what was cried out to the Mexicans during the fight.
2. South Padre Islands - south of Corpus ChristiThese islands are approximately 70 miles long and are part of a conservation area inside of the state of Texas. When you visit these 130,000 acres, you’ll find all sorts of land types like beach homes, grasslands, dunes and more as you continue to venture along the beach.
If you or someone you’re traveling with think there isn’t any way you’d be able to visit the sandy beaches due to a physical disability, you, fortunately, may need to think again. These beaches are remarkably wheelchair accessible. The Malaquite Visitor Center has beach-specific wheelchairs for you to travel around in with the rest of your family or friends.
This is considered one of the most beautiful and exotic shorelines, as it provides warm waters you can swim in or instead layout on their beaches to get a nice tan. Whatever you do on the beach, be sure to take your time as you experience all the Gulf of Mexico and South Padre has to offer you.
3. Big Bend National Park - along the Mexico border in southwest TexasIf the wilderness and great outdoors are things you’re ready to explore, input this destination into your Maps. This incredibly gorgeous and popular vacation spot includes a giant park with a wide variety of different animals, trees and other living species. You’ll find 1,000 different plants and over 400 different types of birds flying around this beautiful area.
Wander around the park and find different trails available for hiking as well as the opportunity to boat along the water to see more of the wilderness while on land or water. This area is located in the Chihuahuan Desert and on the Rio Grande. Not only will you get to explore the wondrous park, but you’ll get to see canyons, hills, mountains and more.
If you end up loving it as much as we think you will, you'll stay a little longer. There are campsites and campgrounds available for you and your family to enjoy a night of camping out and stargazing.
4. The Houston Space Center - Houston, TexasDo you have a child who is a huge space lover? Or maybe you’ve even claimed yourself to be a NASA nerd. No matter who is the space lover of the family, they’re sure to enjoy the Houston Space Center. This is where you can learn more about different explorations throughout space, and you can get the inside scoop on what’s happening in NASA as well as what future projects they have planned for the future.
The Johnson Space Center and Mission Control are also located here. They offer tours of both of these locations for you to learn more. Exploring the whole event takes almost a whole day. Be prepared to walk inside of replica shuttles and replica space stations as you explore more about space, the planets, and the moon.
5. Fort Worth Stockyards - Fort Worth, TexasGet into the mind - and boots - of a cowboy by visiting the Stockyards in Fort Worth, Texas. This town began in 1866, where they began sorting, storing, and shipping out their cows to different areas around the state of Texas. This is how Fort Worth became known for its giant cattle industry.
These facilities no longer operate in many areas in the United States, so these stockyards have officially become one of a kind attraction that many line up in excitement to visit. It isn’t just cattle that gather here anymore. Instead, everyone is invited to these stockyards to watch different theatre shows, concerts, rodeos, and more. There are also various shops along the area, so you can stop and buy your very own Texan cowboy hat or boots.
Whether you’re spending your day inside or outside, you can bet you’ll have a blast on your vacation if it’s spent anywhere in Texas. You can experience a day full of learning and adventure, or a weekend to relax and get away from the hustle and bustle of life. No matter what you decide, you’re guaranteed to have a blast with family or friends in these exciting Texan hot spots.